Sunday, March 23, 2014

BBQ Review: Sweet n' Saucy


It's been a long time but I've tried a new BBQ place.


 
 
Sweet and Saucy  Fairfield IA. *****

When you say a place is a hole in the wall you may just mean Sweet and Saucy. Sweet is located at 117 N Court in Fairfield and you will need that address because the place sits so far back off the street. You can’t even see the front door, but don’t let that stop you. Sweet and Saucy is Limited service dining (order at the counter) We were greeted by a friendly, knowledgeable and confident person behind the counter, she knew the menu. The menu is extremely limited to BBQ. I believe they have a loose beef sandwich and a tenderloin besides the Q.

Sauces:   Six to choose from (Memphis, Sweet, Zippy, Spicy, Spicer, Buffalo) All of the sauces lacked any depth of flavor and were okay but not outstanding. I ended up mixing the sweet and the Spicy and came up with a pretty good sauce.

Ribs:     Ribs were not on the menu the night I was there. Can’t wait to give them a try.  

Pulled Pork:   This is competition quality pulled pork, great smoked flavor and very moist. Restaurant pulled pork has the tendency to become mushy and this did not. I was a little rough on Sweet and Saucy’s sauces but the pulled pork did not need it.    

Brisket:  Many BBQ places are not brave enough to serve brisket, Sweet and Saucy is and it was very good. Brisket is tough to do right and I’m glad to have found a place close to home where I can get a brisket fix once and awhile.

Sides:  A good selection of sides for such a small place. I had the onion rings and coleslaw, the rings were amazing. I also tried the fried pickles, going to have to go back and try some more.  

Overall:  Since becoming a Kansas City Barbeque judge I’d kind of given up on trying new BBQ joints. However I was very excited to find such a good place so close to home. I may not have to by a smoker after all. I would suggest following them on Facebook for their specials as it is such a small place and the menu may vary a bit. I am holding out to try the ribs, some more of the sides and for consistency but Sweet and Saucy does have a chance to make my top two BBQ joints in Iowa.   

No comments:

Post a Comment