Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Not an act but an attitude


When it comes to prayer I used to treat God like a piñata and would only take a whack at it when I wanted something. Then as I became we’ll say smarter I knew that prayer was a conversation with God and I knew that in that conversation I needed to thank him for who he was and then after that I’d still mainly ask for what I wanted only more carefully. Still my prayer life was not as it should be. It was not until I read a book on the sovereignty of God in which the question was asked if God is in control why ask for anything that I really started to figure this all out. What is prayer? Prayer is not so much an act as it is an attitude, an attitude of dependency, dependency upon God. Prayer is a confession of your weakness, and of helplessness. Prayer is the acknowledgment of our need and laying it out before God.  Prayer, real prayer is coming into the presence of God, with a sense of his majesty with the realization of our nothingness and unworthiness compared to Him. Pretty simple really.

No comments:

Post a Comment