Saturday, May 5, 2012

Resturant Review: Shorts Burger & Shine


Shorts Burgers and Shine

Iowa City Iowa


I do love a good burger and burgers are what Shorts is all about. The menu consists of 25 different burgers and 12 chicken sandwiches and that’s it. When you walk in the place it just screams old world charm, it’s kind of dark but it works. I am not a big fan of booths but the booths at Shorts are raised and very old, probably one of the most comfortable booths I can remember sitting in. I love the concept they have all of the beef is raised on one farm near Columbus Junction (near where I grew up) butchered in Riverside and delivered fresh to the restaurant. The buns are baked daily in town and when possible the veggies are bought at the farmers market. If you like beer their draft beers are all made in Iowa. Great concept and I’ll have to say it works. To start out Teresa had the raspberry iced tea and she said it was one of the best she has ever had. When the food arrived it was very pleasing to the eye.

Rachel had the Dundee it features sautéed mushrooms, bacon, garlic aioli, American cheese and a fried egg. Of course with Rachel there the mushrooms were left off. I didn’t get a taste because she had it gone so fast. Here is her Dundee.


Teresa had the Baxter it has blackened bacon, provolone and chipotle mayo. She liked hers as well but didn’t pick up the chipotle as much as she’d like.



Here is my burger the Germantown


It had kraut, Swiss, Thousand Island dressing on grilled marbled rye. All I can say is that it was darned good.

Now for the strange part of the experience, the fries. I'm a crispy fry guy and normally if I would get fries that are let’s say limp, I’d have a problem with that. At Shorts the fries are hand cut everyday and when served they are as limp as a dish rag, but somehow they make it work. The fries were actually very good. I can’t explain it and when I told the waitress she just looked at me like I was weird. That does not make her a bad waitress, just honest and the service was very good.

The problem with downtown Iowa City on a Friday night is of course parking so be prepared to walk. It was a beautiful evening and walking was a treat if you are into people watching because downtown Iowa City offers the best people watching in the state.

 Price range: (everyday, a night out, a special occasion only) everyday

Overall rankings all based 1 to 5

Atmosphere:  4

Service:         4

Food:            5

Value:           3

Overall          4.5




Placement on map is approximate
18 South Clinton Street
Iowa City, IA 52240
(319) 337-4678

1 comment: