Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Simply Smart


I have been through a stage in my life where I read everything I could find by all the top theologians from the 1800’s on. I was filling up knowledge to get smarter which is not really a bad thing. But was I becoming more effective that is the question? Yes I have learned things that I need to know but can I use them in a simple way? The best theologian in the history of the world was none other than Jesus and as I was reading in Matthew today I was struck by 13:3

3 He told many stories in the form of parables, such as this one: “Listen! A farmer went out to plant some seeds.

The Son of God says a farmer went out to plant some seeds to tell a great truth about the Bible. Simple yet effective if only we could be so simply smart.

Jesus goes on to explain simply smart in verses 10-13

10 His disciples came and asked him, “Why do you use parables when you talk to the people?” 11 He replied, “You are permitted to understand the secrets[a] of the Kingdom of Heaven, but others are not. 12 To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given, and they will have an abundance of knowledge. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them. 13 That is why I use these parables, For they look, but they don’t really see. They hear, but they don’t really listen or understand.

We all would be best if we just would keep it simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment