Sunday, September 30, 2012

Bon appétit.


Note to Self by Joe Thorn is a book that I now use as a daily devotional. Each day I will share the scripture passage and an expert from the book and a few of my own thoughts as part of my blog.

Scripture passage Psalm 119: 129-135  

129 Your laws are wonderful.
No wonder I obey them!
130 The teaching of your word gives light,
so even the simple can understand.
131 I pant with expectation,
longing for your commands.
132 Come and show me your mercy,
as you do for all who love your name.
133 Guide my steps by your word,
so I will not be overcome by evil.
134 Ransom me from the oppression of evil people;
then I can obey your commandments.
135 Look upon me with love;
teach me your decrees.
Section from the book
But what is clear is that Scripture requires both head and heart, and you need to see it not just as a text but as the very words of God. This will encourage you to pay close attention to the very words he uses, but it will also compel you to feast on those words as light-shedding, wisdom-dispensing, and life-giving counsel from on high.

Simple thoughts
The Bible is more than a book. God’s word is something that needs to be experienced, lived, digested, shared, listened to, and so on. God’s word is something that needs to be thought of as a meal. Something done regularly, to be enjoyed ,  and to be digested. Bon appétit.

No comments:

Post a Comment