Thursday, September 6, 2012

Confidence is looking in the mirror and seeing someone else



Note to Self by Joe Thorn is a book that I now use as a daily devotional. Each day I will share the scripture passage and an expert from the book and a few of my own thoughts as part of my blog.

Scripture passage Isaiah 44:22
I have swept away your sins like a cloud.
I have scattered your offenses like the morning mist.
Oh, return to me,
for I have paid the price to set you free.”

Section from the book
You can, and must, return to God daily. His promise is that he will receive you as you come—in faith, not in moral purity. This is what gospel confidence looks like. It is not an insincere approach to God that dismisses our corruption while presuming on his grace, but a heartfelt dependency on the grace of Christ to make us acceptable at all times. Gospel confidence is not found in our best religious performance, be it guilt-penance or law keeping, but in the merit and mercy of Jesus on our behalf.
  Simple thoughts


Gospel confidence is something we should strive for. But it is something that we can never achieve on our own. In fact the more we try to achieve it, the more distant it becomes. It is in a sense just like today’s picture, when you look into the mirror you need to see someone else, Jesus. When you can do this that is when you will have gospel confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment