Thursday, September 8, 2011

Where's your stone?



[19] So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, [20] built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone.
(Ephesians 2:18-22 ESV)



In reading today’s verses of course my mind went straight to the part about Jesus being the cornerstone. However I thought to myself do I really know what a cornerstone is so I went to Wikipedia which I seldom do and something was made quite clear to me.
The cornerstone (or foundation stone) concept is derived from the first stone set in the construction of a masonry foundation, important since all other stones will be set in reference to this stone, thus determining the position of the entire structure.
Okay this all makes sense to me in thinking about today’s verse and Jesus himself. The first stone set, yes I know that. All other stones will be set in reference to the first, I get it. Determining the position of the entire structure, Oh how true. But Wikipedia went on to say something else that I did not expect. Something that we all need to think about, here is what it said.  
Over time a cornerstone became a ceremonial masonry stone, or replica, set in a prominent location on the outside of a building, with an inscription on the stone indicating the construction dates of the building and the names of architect, builder and other significant individuals.

It’s funny how overtime that words or the way we perceive things become much different. Compare this picture and the first one to both definitions.
 
This picture is today what a lot of us think of when we think cornerstone. But that’s not what it is. So now we are going to talk solely about Jesus. Overtime has Jesus become just ceremonial to you? Is He just a replica? Is he just set in a prominent location so others can see it? Or is He your foundation, first in your life, does He determine the position of your entire being? Ask yourself that today?

No comments:

Post a Comment