Monday, August 27, 2012

Resturant review: 801 Chophouse



801 Chophouse

 
Recently I got to experience 801 Chophouse in Des Moines. I’ll admit I am nervous going in to any place that is out of my league. But thanks to Stacy and Jared our family got enjoy a dining experience that we may never get again. Upon entering 801 I was immediately taken back by the aroma that filled the place. I was originally going to say smell, but that would not do it justice. I remember saying that this was the best smelling restaurant I had ever been to hands down. The aroma of grilled steaks filled the place. I could have just sat there for hours and been happy just taking in the fragrance of grilled prime beef. As for the place it’s self it was very nice lots of beautiful woodwork, adequate lighting and the like. Not as stuffy as I anticipated. ( if you see me ask me about the men’s restroom.) Besides being with my family the highlight of the evening after thinking about it was the level of the service. So refreshing to have someone wait on you who know what they are talking about. Our waitress explained everything very well and brought out and explained the cuts of steak. We had the porter house, the Delmonico and a New York strip all very good. For the sides we had some of the best scalloped potatoes I’ve ever had, the garlic mashed potatoes were exceptional, the steam broccoli was cooked well, and the gnocchi was good. The overall winner of the sides at the table was the fresh Iowa creamed corn.   We finished the evening with some cheese cake and a soufflé served with chocolate, raspberry, and a vanilla bean sauces that were amazing. The soufflé you have to order at the beginning of the meal because it takes almost an hour to create and is rumored to contain 16 eggs. The soufflé itself was worth the trip. The value score is the only thing for me that held 801 back. Overall a great experience.     


 Price range: (everyday, a night out, a special occasion only) Special occasion

Overall rankings all based 1 to 5

Atmosphere:  5

Service:         5

Food:            5

Value:           3

Overall          4.5

 

801 Grand Ave # 200 Des Moines, IA 50309
(515) 288-6000

No comments:

Post a Comment