Sunday, March 6, 2011

BBQ Joint Reviews

With my new found love of BBQ I have decided to rank and review the places that I have been to. Keep in mind I am still limited in the places that I have been and have not been to the BBQ hot spots in the country like Memphis and Kansas City. I will update this list as my waist line and billfold will allow.
* Overall rating 1-5
1. Jethro’s Des Moines and Altoona *****  
Full service dining a barbeque place with a sports bar vibe, with an extensive menu for a BBQ joint. The smoked steak at the Altoona location needs to be tried once.
Sauces: a vast variety of sauces. The original is the best they offer and one of the best I have had.
Ribs: for me the perfect combination of smokiness, dry rub.
Pulled Pork:  The pulled pork is smoked well, some good bark and consistent.
Brisket: Always good.
Sides: Overall the best sides of any BBQ place that I have been. The Hot slaw is the best. The Mac and cheese is good also. The coleslaw is at the top end.
Overall: The best total dining experience. I have eaten here plenty of times is always consistent. Be prepared to wait for a table, it’s worth the wait.            
The best value on the menu is the ½ rack and two meat dinner for two which comes with four sides.
2. Jimmy Jacks Iowa City *****
Limited service dining (order at the counter) for limited service dining the staff is very friendly and helpful. The menu is extremely limited nothing but BBQ.  Limited seating and backless chairs are one of the only drawbacks. All the food is served on or in paper.
Sauces: a good variety of sauces the original is good but the Cowboy is there best and one of the best I have ever had.
Ribs: So far the best I have had, somewhat sweet and a good full smoked flavor.
Pulled Pork: good smoked flavor
Sides: again the sides are extremely limited only three to choose from. I don’t usually eat French fries but these are the best I have ever had.  
Overall: When it comes to just plain meat and sauces this place has the best. I will drive to Iowa City just to eat here. Have been impressed each time with the staff.
3. Rib Crib ****
Full service dining chain expanded menu. I have only been here once and it was some time ago. All I remember was the ribs and they were good.
Sauces: I just remember liking the one I had.
Ribs: Can be ordered wet or dry I preferred the wet and they were very good.
Sides: good selection of sides.
Overall: The ribs left a very good impression on me for only eating there once. Mason City is the only Iowa Location  
4. Woody’s Smoke Shack Des Moines ***
Limited service dining, neat atmosphere, food served in and on paper
Sauces: only two to choose from both good but not outstanding.
Ribs: a strange but not bad rub no smoke flavor in the ribs, not a very meaty rib, mine was over cooked
Pulled Pork: No bark, no smoke, and a tad stringy for me.
Sides: limited nothing to write home about
Overall: I came out smelling like smoke but never tasted any. On the positive side they had a pan of corn bread out to eat with honey and it was the best corn bread I have had in my life.
5. Bandannas **
Full service dining chain restaurant with somewhat of a sports bar feel
Sauces: a variety to choose from I did not care for any of them.
Pulled pork:  has a good smoky flavor with some good bark.
Sides: A good variety of sides. The coleslaw was very good.
Overall: the sauces ruined the trip for me but we did have something that is not listed on the online menu I think they were called donut holes they were like a mini funnel cake and were very good.
6. John’s Shamrock Barbeque Ainsworth Iowa *
Full service dining expanded menu, dark dated dining
Sauces: a variety to choose from I did not like any of them
Ribs: good smoked, flavor nice bark, I could not find a sauce to put on them I ate them dry.
Sides: a vast variety to choose from nothing stood out.
Overall: The sauces ruined the trip for me. They had sauerkraut soup on the menu that the Shamrock used to serve which has been a favorite of mine for years but this one fell short of what I remembered.  
7.  The Q Des Moines
Full service dining, expanded menu
Do not order the barbeque.  This place in not even worth my time to write a review.

2 comments:

  1. Mike,
    Its time for a road trip to Memphis. Charlie Vargo's Rendesvous has the best ribs ive ever had! We should get together and each make our own ribs! Owens Rib throwdown, first annual!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memphis BBQ is a must. BB Kings really good.

    ReplyDelete