Sunday, March 27, 2011

I Believe in Pimps

I believe in pimps, I really do. I believe that they do exist. I believe that they do what they say they do. I believe that they can  make a lot of money. But that does not mean that I think what they do is right. That I would put them in charge of my life,  or that I would trust them in anyway. I wouldn't do that.

The same thing goes for God and James 2:19 makes this very clear it says:

 19 You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror.

Even the demons and Satan believe in God. They do know he exists but they do not follow him. The same thing goes for the people around us. Perhaps even some very close to us. They may think or say, I believe that God exists. I believe that he is great, he is love, that he created the world. They may even ask him for things when they are in a jam. But they do not know him, they do not trust him, they have no made him Lord, and most important they don't have a relationship with his son Jesus.

The key word in all of this is believe. The Greek word for believe has a far different meaning that what the word means to us today. It means a personal trust. I can say that I believe in pimps. Because I know that they exist. But to say that I believe in a parachute enough to jump out of a plane the meaning of the word believe here is far different. When the Bible talks about the word believe it is the parachute believe. So the next time you or someone else says, "Oh yea I believe in Christ" is it the pimp believe or the parachute believe? It makes a huge difference.

2 comments:

  1. Funny-but true! Believe is an interesting word-one that gets abused and redefined all the time! Good insight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once heard that "believe" originally was "bylive" which meant "live by"...

    That works if you believe in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete