Sunday, March 11, 2012

Resturant Review: Fongs Pizza


Fong's Pizza
Des Moines Iowa
Well after a few years of hearing about Fong's Pizza I finally made it. I have 3 words to describe the place, the food, and the experience. Unique, unique, unique oh did I say unique? First we’ll start out with place, I’ve seen it many times while at the farmers market and it’s across the street from the Royal Mile which I’ve been to a few times. I walked in expecting to see a Chinese restaurant whatever that means and it was an old, old bar complete with fighter pilots helmets hanging on the wall I’ll get that in a minute.
Now for the experience it started out very strange when upon entering some told us to go all the way to the back room, was not sure if he was making a comment on our Mount Pleasant shirts due to the fact we were in town for the basketball game and he was from the opposing side, or there was no tables in the front, or due to the fact he was drunk mind you he was dressed in green from head to toe. I decided to go with the later. The experience continued when a lady walked past the table wearing more strange attire and almost clown type makeup went to the backroom which did exist and many strange sounds came from the back. We found out there was some kind of bar run/crawl going on which explained a lot. Now for the helmets on the all, at one point the bar tender took the helmets off the wall and made some patrons put them on to drink some kind of kamikaze shot. Must be some drink.


Now for the pizza, it was so unique I don’t think I can call it pizza. I had the Iowan which was a blend of bbq and house, Canadian bacon, bacon, pork, corn and mozzarella, drizzled with bbq sauce. Yes I did say corn. I decided instead of calling it pizza I would just call it barbeque on a cracker. I was very good and provided some real building heat. For a thin crust pizza it was very filling. Notice the corn on this slice.

 The other pizza we had at the table was the Polynesian it consisted of a blend of sweet & spicy with house sauce, canadian bacon, bacon, pineapple, asiago and mozzarella. The pineapple balanced it out well and was good as well.
In the end Fong's is a destination place that everyone should try at least once in their life to experience all its uniqueness. I would go back however with all of the other great places to eat in Des Moines it’s not on my list of oh I want to go there again soon. But definitely a place you should try.   

Price range: (everyday, a night out, a special occasion only) everyday

Overall rankings all based 1 to 5

Atmosphere: 2.5

Service:        2.5

Food:           3

Value:           3

Overall          3

 Fongs Pizza

223 4th Street

Des Moines, Iowa 50309

1 comment:

  1. you forgot to mention the crab ragoons...yum. glad you enjoyed your first fong's experience.

    ReplyDelete