Sunday, February 13, 2011

What are you chasing, and what will you do if you catch it?

Today I started going through Ecclesiastes and forgot what a great book it is. Most think the King Solomon wrote this book and at the time he was the richest and wisest man that had ever lived. He makes some awesome points through out this book.

In the first 8 verse of chapter Chapter 2 he points out how much "stuff" he had. To me it sounds like an episode of "Celebrity Cribs" or for those of you who are a bit older "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous." We often wonder why so often we hear of celebrities that crash and burn or lottery winners who become bankrupt. There is a reason and Solomon hits on it in verses 9-11
 9 So I became greater than all who had lived in Jerusalem before me, and my wisdom never failed me. 10 Anything I wanted, I would take. I denied myself no pleasure. I even found great pleasure in hard work, a reward for all my labors. 11 But as I looked at everything I had worked so hard to accomplish, it was all so meaningless—like chasing the wind. There was nothing really worthwhile anywhere.

Solomon gets it. this stuff is all worthless in the big scheme of things. I go back again to what seems to be my word of the year and that is value. What do you place the most value on? Is it money, friendship, family, your job, or is it your relationship with Christ? Only one of these things is permanent only one of these things will be allowed past security when you die and that of course is your relationship with Christ.

Solomon finishes off the chapter in a sense saying the very same thing.

 24 So I decided there is nothing better than to enjoy food and drink and to find satisfaction in work. Then I realized that these pleasures are from the hand of God. 25 For who can eat or enjoy anything apart from him?[b] 26 God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy to those who please him. But if a sinner becomes wealthy, God takes the wealth away and gives it to those who please him. This, too, is meaningless—like chasing the wind.

So what are you chasing, and what will you do if you catch it?

No comments:

Post a Comment