Wednesday, February 16, 2011

You can't win if you don't play

Ecclesiastes 11:4
 Farmers who wait for perfect weather never plant. If they watch every cloud, they never harvest.

I have always understood this verse. It really does make prefect sense to me, but the question I always have to ask myself is. Why do I often find myself waiting and watching when it comes to talking to others about the Lord? Do you do the same thing?

I think most of the time we wait and watch out of fear. We fear that they might think we are weird. We fear that we might be looked down upon. We fear that we might lose a friend. We fear retaliation. But one of the big ones that we may not think to much about is the fear of failure. We think we don't know enough, or we may not say just the right thing. Perhaps we are afraid we may say the wrong thing and turn them away from the Lord. So we wait and watch for the perfect opportunity. The funny thing is the perfect opportunity never comes.

Notice I used the word fear many times in the last paragraph and in the context that I used the word fear can be defined as a lack of faith. After all God is sovereign and he already knows who will come to Faith he decided that before he even made this world, and those he has called will come to Faith with or without you. The cool thing is God does not need us to complete this process he can do it all on his own but he loves us so much he wants us to be able to share in the joy he receives when someone comes to know him.

So don't be so afraid of messing up that you won't even try. After all you can't win if you don't play and in the end the final result is not up to you it's ultimately in the hands of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment