Sunday, July 3, 2011

BBQ Joint Reviews: Wildwood Smokehouse & Saloon




Wildwood Smokehouse & Saloon Iowa City IA.

Full service dining, limited menu for those who don’t do BBQ. Definitely a country western feel, looked like the inside of an old barn. Friendly staff

Sauces:   Three to choose from (mild classic, southern bourbon, & prairie fire) all three okay but not outstanding. I ended up mixing all three.

Ribs:    Good ribs, excellent smoke, very meaty, just a touch over cooked and a little extra fat. But still very good.

Pulled Pork:  Possibly the best pulled pork I have had not taking into account the sauce. When I go back I will order the pulled pork and have it without any BBQ sauce, it’s that good.  

Sides:  A good selection of sides. The fries were like Jimmy Jacks, excellent the coleslaw was not to my liking actually one of the worst I have had. Many more that I am excited to try and one more I will address in the overall section.

Overall:  Very pleased with my experience. Good service, good food and good value. We ate during lunch and ordered off of the lunch menu. I would recommend this if possible. In looking at their calendar they have various activities on the weekends that I would not be the least bit interested in. The sauces held and the coleslaw were the main items that kept them from moving up any hire in the rankings. The pulled pork is truly good enough to eat without any sauce but the highlight of the trip I have saved for last and it was the corn bread. It was so good you could stick a candle in it and sing happy birthday to me. No corn bread has ever come close to how good this was. It was truly like a piece of cake. I was so ridiculously moist I think you could have wrung water out of it. It had some kind of honey glaze on top of it that was as good as any frosting. The corn bread alone was worth the trip. The Wildwood is a little out of the way on the Northeast corner of town but very good. It comes in at numer 3 on my BBQ rankings
Teresa had the best meal of the day. Look at that corn bread!  yummmm!

WILDWOOD SMOKEHOUSE & SALOON4919 B Walleye Drive SE
Iowa City, Iowa 52240
319-338-2211

No comments:

Post a Comment