Sunday, July 3, 2011

We are not worthy



We are not worthy; this goes against absolutely everything society tries to teach us today, and the truth is compared to Jesus we are not worthy. We hear so much about self-esteem, that you are somebody, that you matter, and it’s all about building yourself up. In the end you end up thinking it’s all about me. However in the story of the Roman officer whose slave was very ill and near death we learn about something else from a guy who should have been impressed with himself. It’s very important to note here that the Roman officer had heard about people that Jesus had healed by touching them or speaking directly to them but he knew of the authority that Jesus had and said just say the word and my servant will be healed, and in the end Jesus responded “I tell you, I haven’t seen faith like this in all Israel!” The servant was healed because of the officer’s faith, and with faith comes the proper perspective of who you are and who Jesus is. If you know who Jesus you know that you are not worthy to ever be in the same vicinity as he is. But you also know only because of his amazing grace that you can have a relationship with him and you should thank him for it every minute of every day.

Luke 7:6-10

 6 So Jesus went with them. But just before they arrived at the house, the officer sent some friends to say, “Lord, don’t trouble yourself by coming to my home, for I am not worthy of such an honor. 7 I am not even worthy to come and meet you. Just say the word from where you are, and my servant will be healed. 8 I know this because I am under the authority of my superior officers, and I have authority over my soldiers. I only need to say, ‘Go,’ and they go, or ‘Come,’ and they come. And if I say to my slaves, ‘Do this,’ they do it.” 9 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed. Turning to the crowd that was following him, he said, “I tell you, I haven’t seen faith like this in all Israel!” 10 And when the officer’s friends returned to his house, they found the slave completely healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment