Saturday, June 4, 2011

Barbeque Review: The Flying Mango





The Flying Mango  Des Moines ****

Full service dining, Let’s call it Beverly Hills barbeque, an upscale barbeque place if you can say that. Besides the barbeque most of the other things on the menu I could not pronounce.

Sauces: only one to choose from somewhat spicy but very good.

Ribs:  served dry, very meaty, an interesting rub that continued to build heat as you ate them. I would have preferred more smoke.

Pulled Pork:  They actually  have two pulled porks to choose from one more spicy than the other. I personally did not care for either. I tasted no smoke.  

Sides:  The most eclectic choice of sides you will ever find at a barbeque place. Sweet potato pancakes with mango sauce: not bad a late kick of heat. Mashed potatoes with mustard and something else I could not pronounce. Sautéed vegetables, corn on the cob with lime and some kind of pepper sauce. The list goes on and on. I recognized coleslaw and it was good.

Overall:  Nice, nice place, neat atmosphere, however I will be honest for me the ribs are difficult to judge, the first ¾ of my half rack I was going yummm, the very end I was going hot, hot, hot by the last rib my mouth and lips were burning. The service was fair not outstanding. I think the uniqueness of the place is what brings it in at number 4 on my Best Barbeque list.

No comments:

Post a Comment