Sunday, June 26, 2011

BBQ Joint Reviews: Hickory Park



Hickory Park  (Ames IA) *
Full service dining, Very large, extensive menu great for groups with people who don’t care for BBQ. The desert menu looked awesome.

Sauces:   Two to choose from neither very good.

Ribs:  Good smoke, if they were rubbed  I couldn’t tell,  way overcooked and cold if that’s possibly, almost, fatty just not very good  

Pulled Pork:  actually sliced, good smoke no rub, was cold.

Sides:  A very good selection the Mac and cheese was okay the coleslaw and the sauerkraut were dry like they had been sitting out to long.

Overall:  I did not want to go to Hickory Park because I was afraid of being disappointed but so many people recommended it even the day I went I asked around Ames and everyone said you have to go to Hickory Park. In the end I was not disappointed, I was actually sorry I went. Have all these people ever had good barbeque? Hickory Park is to barbeque what McDonalds is to steak. The best thing I had was the water. In reality the ribs and the pork were smoked well. The mystique of Hickory Park must carry a lot of weight because the food does not. It was kind of funny that in a conversation with the waitress before we ordered I told her that I reviewed and blogged on BBQ places. Her response was “I don’t cook it” she knew more than I realized.  Usually I am so full I don’t order dessert, in this case I just wanted out. On the bright side no one got sick like at the Q.

Overall list todate:
1. Jethro’s Des Moines and Altoona ***** 
2. Jimmy Jacks Iowa City *****
3. Rib Crib ****
4. The Flying Mango  Des Moines ****
5. Woody’s Smoke Shack Des Moines ***
6. Bandannas **
7. Smokey D’s **
9. Hickory Park  (Ames IA) *
10.  The Q (Des Moines)


No comments:

Post a Comment