Thursday, June 23, 2011

I would squash it.

In reading Luke 4 today I came to the conclusion that there are three main types of temptation and they fall under the following categories, provision, pride, and power. If you are ever tempted to do something wrong it will probably fall under one of these things. The first thing you have to do is recognize the temptation and that can be very difficult because Satan is an expert and making temptations look like very good things. The second would be to find a way to fight off and resist the tempting temptations. The answer to both problems is exactly the same and Jesus tells us the answer in Luke 4 when each time when he is tempted by Satan himself in each of the three categories. Jesus says “the scriptures say” So knowing scripture helps you identify and fight temptation. I also find it interesting that if he wanted Jesus could have just squashed Satan like a pesky little mosquito. He had the ability to do it but chose not to. Now if it was me and something was irritating over and over again I would have squashed it knowing I could. But for some reason which we really do not know Jesus chose not to. It could be here to show us how we can overcome temptation and it’s not in our own power but in His. I would still just have squashed it. But that is why he is God and I am not.

1 comment: