Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bewhat the sequel


I just wanted to revisit the word behold again today. Like was mentioned in yesterday’s blog the word behold is used over a thousand times in the Bible and it is not a word that we used every day. To give you a better idea of how behold is used in scripture here are 5 verses from Revelation alone to depict how the word behold is used.
 Revelation 1:18
and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

Revelation 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

Revelation 6:2
And I looked, and behold, a white horse! And its rider had a bow, and a crown was given to him, and he came out conquering, and to conquer.

Revelation 21:5
And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

Revelation 22:12
"Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay everyone for what he has done.

 If I were going to write a definition for the word behold it would go something like this:
Look very, very closely. Pay very close attention. Because this is very, very important.
Keeping this in mind look at 2 Corinthians 3:18 again.

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

Where it says beholding the glory of the Lord we had better look at this very, very closely,  and pay very close attention to the glory of the Lord. Because it is very, very important.

 The greatest desire that Christ expressed in his prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane  was that his people might be with him to behold his glory. 

John 17:24  Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began!

Again beholding the glory of Christ must have some significant significance.
John Owen in his book the Glory of Christ says the following:
“No man shall ever behold the glory of Christ by sight in Heaven who does not, in the same measure, behold it by faith in this word”

No comments:

Post a Comment