Monday, May 23, 2011

Until then there is hope



2 Corinthians 12:1-4
1 This boasting will do no good, but I must go on. I will reluctantly tell about visions and revelations from the Lord. 2 I[a] was caught up to the third heaven fourteen years ago. Whether I was in my body or out of my body, I don’t know—only God knows3 Yes, only God knows whether I was in my body or outside my body. But I do know 4 that I was caught up[b] to paradise and heard things so astounding that they cannot be expressed in words, things no human is allowed to tell.

These words are nothing but hope for me. First, it tells me that no human can even imagine how great Heaven is. Second, this tells me that there is hope that I can be just as obedient to God just as Paul was. After everything he must have seen and heard he did not spill the beans and say anymore than he was supposed to. We as humans have a huge problem with pride and we want to make ourselves look better to others than we really are. So we tend to name drop and tell others everything we know acting like what we tell them is just part of what we know, so we come off looking as good as possible. We should never take the ride of pride in stride because pride leads to death. Pride can be defeated only through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Going back to those who made all the end of the world predictions and then reading this verse this morning, part of me wishes they were right. I am reminded that everyday I drive past a funeral home to and from work. Sometimes when there are cars there I get home sick and long to go home. However there must still be work here to be done. Until then there is hope.

My prayers are with those devastated by more tornadoes yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment