Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My idol looks like that?

 
Most people do not think of America as being a country where idols are worshiped. However America possibly has the most idol worship of any country on the face of the planet. The problem is identifying the idols. Do you know what an idol looks like?

Some people when they think of an idol this is what comes to mind.


Yet for others when they think of an idol this is what comes to mind.


Idols are extremely hard to spot especially when they are your own Joshua 24:19-23 tells us why it is so very important to get this figured out.

19 Then Joshua warned the people, “You are not able to serve the Lord, for he is a holy and jealous God. He will not forgive your rebellion and your sins. 20 If you abandon the Lord and serve other gods, he will turn against you and destroy you, even though he has been so good to you.”21 But the people answered Joshua, “No, we will serve the Lord!”22 “You are a witness to your own decision,” Joshua said. “You have chosen to serve the Lord.”“Yes,” they replied, “we are witnesses to what we have said.”
23 “All right then,” Joshua said, “destroy the idols among you, and turn your hearts to the Lord, the God of Israel.”

If you are going to set out to destroy the idols among you you had better figure out what to destroy. Idols are not just material things, idols are also conditions of the heart. I have included a list for you to go through to help you identify your idols so that you can go out and destroy them.

“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… I have power and influence over others.” Power idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… I am loved and respected by _______.” Approval idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… I have this pleasure, or such a quality of life.” Comfort idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… I am able to get mastery over my life in _______.” Control idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… people depend on me and need me.” Helping idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… someone is there to protect and keep me safe.” Dependence idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… I am free from obligations to take care of someone.” Independence idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… I am highly productive and getting a lot done.” Work idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… I am recognized for accomplishments and am excelling.” Achievement idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… I have wealth, financial freedom, and nice possessions.” Materialism idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… I am adhering to religious code and accomplished in it.” Religion idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… this one person is in my life and happy to be with me.” Person idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… I am free from organized religion, living by my morals.” Irreligion idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… my race and culture is recognized as superior.” Racial/cultural idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… this _________ group lets me in.” Insider idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… my parents/children are happy and happy with me.” Family idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… Mr./Mrs. ‘Right’ is in love with me.” Relationship idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… I am hurting; only then am I worthy of love or can cope.” Suffering idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… my _______ cause is making progress, rising in power.” Ideology idolatry
“Life only has meaning/I only have worth if… I have a certain look or body.” Image idolatry
*courtesy of Tim Keller/Dave Powlison
In short an idol is anything we place before God. Many people have been destroyed by worshiping idols. My advice is to go out and identify your idol and destroy it before is destroys you.

No comments:

Post a Comment