Saturday, May 7, 2011

Who is it?



I am going to start this blog out with 1 Corinthians 13 as you read it think about who is it that deserves your love.
4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

I am convinced that these verses have done a lot of damage to people who have only heard them spoke at weddings. I would be one of them. Growing up I was never taught the Bible correctly, but had heard about it from time to time. So whenever I heard these words it reinforced my thinking that love was only for my family. I knew how to love my family, but it went no farther than blood. So to go to a wedding and hearing these words out of context they did a disservice to me. I did not know that I was supposed to love others and that for not loving others was putting me in a situation that if not corrected would have an impact on where I spent eternity. 

Now that I am a follower of Christ and have sat under some good teaching of the Bible I am learning to love others, a concept that for a long time was foreign to me. At times it is still hard because of almost 40 years of forgetting everything I had ever thought.  So now when I read these words I just don’t think of my wife or my family I try and think of others. Read these words again and try to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment