Thursday, November 24, 2011

Just call it Turkey Day



How would you define Thanksgiving Day?

A:  a day appointed for giving thanks for divine goodness:  

B:  the fourth Thursday in November observed as a legal holiday in the United States

C:  the second Monday in October observed as a legal holiday in Canada

 All of these answers are correct the question becomes what is Thanksgiving Day really. Unless you are reading this in the great white north your answer would not be “C’. If you answered “B” enjoy your day off from work, time with family and watching football. However if you answered “A” when you give thanks, who are you thanking?

As I thought about Thanksgiving this week I thought you know what this is a day about thanking God for all of His many blessing so I thought I would look up the history of Thanksgiving and on Wikipedia there was not one single reference to God. There were mentions about giving thanks but never to who. Thanksgiving could possibly be even more co-opted than Christmas and Easter. There will be people gathered all over the country today thankful for many things and they will give thanks to the wrong person because  they don’t know who to thank. Thanksgiving should be about thanking the One who made everything possible and that is Jesus Christ. Below are a few words from my song of thanksgiving this year. They are from The Stand by Hillsong.

So what can I say What can I do But offer this heart O God Completely to You
So I'll stand With arms high and heart abandonedIn awe of the One who gave it all

 If you can’t stand in awe and give praise to the One who paid it all, you just as well call this legal holiday Turkey Day.

Psalm 69:30
Then I will praise God’s name with singing, and I will honor him with thanksgiving.
HERE IS A LINK TO THE STAND.

No comments:

Post a Comment