Sunday, January 9, 2011

The eternal playoffs

As I was watching parts of the two NFL wild card playoff games yesterday I was taken by the fact that the two teams I thought would win did not. In the second game I was pulling for the Colts and it was a close game that went down to a last minute field goal that put the Colts ahead; and then a last second field goal for a Jets win. It made me think of what I had read in 1 John earlier that day which is at the end of this post.

Here is what I thought when the Colts went ahead with then than a minute left everyone on the team was very excited, the kicker was getting congratulated all around by his teammates and everyone in the crowd thought that they had won. But the game wasn't over, everything they thought they had faded quickly with a  long kickoff return. People today get comfortable with the things that they have, or have accomplished in their minds on their own and they don't realize that theses "things" will fade like a last second field goal.
I stayed up until 10:00 (really late for me) waiting to see if the Colts would win,would I have stayed up that late if I had known the Colts were going to lose? Of course not.

So why get all wrapped up in the things of the world, when in the end they fade away. When it's all said and done the (things) that most people think are important will be gone. The only thing that will matter in then is if you have a relationship with Christ.

If you have that relationship you don't have to wait up to see who will win you already know that in the end Christ wins. It's the "Gospel" truth and it's right there in the Bible. 

1 John 2:15-17
15 Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. 16 For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. 17 And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment