Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A mangy mutt

Rescued and transferred are two words that are common today.  For instance a puppy was rescued from a shelter, or money was transferred into your account. We hear these words all of the time, but today as I was reading Colossians 1 these words stood out to me. In verse 13 it says:

For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son,

Christ has rescued Christians from the kingdom of darkness. Just like the puppy had to rely on something bigger than it's self to get out of the pound because the puppy was not going to walk out on it's own. I'll be honest at one point in my life I was a mangy old mutt and I was not walking out of the kingdom of darkness on my own. The only way out was a rescue mission from Christ.

Not only does he rescue us which is great in it's own sense, but he transfers us to his Kingdom. Again when money is transferred someone else has to do it, money is not just going to magically appear in your account on it's own (although I wish that it would.)
but someone has to do it.

Our accounts were not only empty but had a negative balance. What Jesus did by his death on the cross made it possible for us to go from a negative balance to being transferred into His Kingdom.

I take four things away from this:
1. He didn't have to rescue me, but he did
2. Just getting me out of the kingdom of darkness was more than I deserved.
3. Transferring me to the His Kingdom is truly grace.
4. It is nothing I could have, or would have done on my own.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a mutt like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment