Saturday, April 30, 2011

Go Ahead, Say It

Time to start up again with the regular blog content.  1 Corinthians is where we will pick up again.  Thanks for your patience and I hope you will find something useful. Please feel free to share this content with anyone you think it may be a blessing to.

 Last Sunday which was of course Easter I sat in church while our Pastor delivered yet another awesome sermon.   I listened to how he changed the tone of his voice in certain situations and how he was constantly using his hands, plus there were more people there than ever before.  The church is really growing. However it struck me that the next week our Pastor was going to be gone and it would be me up there next week. I proceeded to freak out just a little bit after all  I am the king of the monotone voice and I’m sure that I will continue to apply the death grip to the podium.  As I have told anyone that I talk to about sermons I love to write them, I love the study and the writing that is just how I learn. But to get the words God gives me off of the written page and deliver them the manner they deserve that usually bothers me. This morning however while reading in 1 Corinthians I read in verse 17 the following words by Paul.

[17] For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.
(1 Corinthians 1:17 ESV)

 I think he had the same problem. Back in his day professional orators were like celebrities and their skills were highly sought after. Then there was Paul he would be the first to tell you that he didn’t talk very well, but he knew the content of what he said was enough to carry him. My prayer for the message that I have prepared to give tomorrow is not for a slick presentation. I know I will mess up but that the words that God has given me to use will bless at least one person.

 I have talked about myself in this blog more than any other but the point I would like to make is if I can do this through the power of the Holy Spirit so can you.

You may not have the opportunity to give a sermon in front of a congregation, but you can have the exact same prayer that the words that Christ gives you can be used to bless at least one person. Just go ahead and say it, don’t be so afraid that you won’t even try.  

No comments:

Post a Comment