Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Time to think



Yesterday I spent the day in a hospital as my Dad got both knees replaced. It makes for a long day however long days make for a time of reflection. Here are a few things I took away from the day.

One, the reading material listed the side effects of the surgery and the last one was loss of life. Even in a so called elective surgery there is that chance a person could die. Which also brings to mind none of us knows when our number will come up and are we ready for that? Some may think it is weird but I do not fear death at all and am looking forward to it. Not the process of death but the outcome and only because I trust in Christ. As I looked around the hospital yesterday I wondered about the spiritual health of all of patients, family members, visitors and staff. Then I asked myself what if anything am I going to do about it.

Then when the surgery was over and they took my dad up to his room as he laid there coming out of the anesthesia which as anyone knows can be quite entertaining. He was helpless all he wanted to do was to move his knees and could not because they had immobilizers on them along with some kind of nerve block. This reminded me of how helpless all humans are and how sin immobilized us, and it will not be until we die or Jesus’ returns that we will be free from sin.

Then when the physical therapist came in to talk to us I realized what a long road and hard work was ahead of him before he could go home. This in the Christians life is called sanctification and there is much work to be done on ourselves before we go home as well.  

I also thought about those on the staff who were the most helpful and how much better they made things. I had to ask myself am I that person for those in this world who not just need help but need the cure for their problems in this life and that cure is the gospel message.

So all in all it was a good day and it was fun to see Rachel in her element as she works in surgery every day, plus she got me a discount on some bacon and a donut.

No comments:

Post a Comment