Monday, January 30, 2012

Writing your own obituary



Over the weekend I went to a funeral and was almost brought to tears even before the thing even began. As I was reading through the little program that was handed to me before I sat down I began to think what will my obituary say? Will it say what I want it to say? And what am I doing so that those who will have to write it will be able to say what I’d like said. Now some may thing this is all morbid, but have you ever stopped to think what will be said about you when you die? Especially to the one that matters most, Jesus.  If my obituary says he loved food that would be a true statement. If it said he loved his family, another true statement. Yet to the one that my obituary matters most will it say he loved Jesus? That’s what I’d like it to say and again I have to ask myself and perhaps you should too. What am I doing right now so that others will know that I do indeed love Jesus? Right now you are in fact writing your obituary whether you know it or not.  

John 21

15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” 16 He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.”

1 comment: